Saturday, May 21, 2011

learning art through impart


I give art classes to 18 children at an NGO school- Saksham in Gurgaon. Teaching 8-14 year olds art is a multi-dimensional wake up call. Imparting the same knowledge I received 15 years back gives me feedback from younger minds on their ability and observation. From proportions, stick figures to a full fledged super hero is a tough trek for them to climb, but they seem to enjoy the difficulty level. The ability of the children to copy from the board is high, but recall of basic principles in the next class is still a challenge. I may be pushing my luck with 10 year olds here, considering the fact that I was 23 when I finished with my 4 year diploma from art school! But children today are smart and the formative years is a good time to sow these seeds in. The class is full everyday, and drawing on the blackboard is another experience altogether. Today, we moved the notch a bit higher- to comics super hero. This was a tough one and manykids refusing to draw beyond the line figure! But its a journey and its ok.








3 comments:

  1. I WANT TO BE A PART OF YOUR CLASS PLEASE.

    I am 24 though. And need online lessons because og geographical reasons. Chalega?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey... adding some more pics of the classes taken. Will send you links separately of other resources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks...share soon!

    ReplyDelete

Wordpress it is!

I have moved to Wordpress. After much introspection and discussion on what Blogger and Wordpress are capable of, I figured a one-stop shop...