Saturday, May 05, 2007

Goshaini

Total Retreat, Total Surrender.

This is 30km after Aut, yes that beautiful winding road after Pandoh Dam. Instead of taking the left into the new tunnel towards Manali, we took the right. I'm through with Manali; which is now turning into one big slurry trash bin.

The roads are undergoing work on the Goshaini side. Cell connectivity weakens :), the valley gets greener :)), the air gets cleaner. Its all getting surreal when Raju Bharti's home appears on the right of the milestone that says 'Goshaini 0 km'.

We parked on the roadside- but to reach his place on the other side, you get into a single seater cable 'cart'. Karan and Varun, his sons and 3 resident dogs- Johnny, Yati and Phebe welcome us. All you hear is the river. This place has non of the conventional hotel facilities since it's mainly a private residence- making this the best drive-out in the hills, all-time, for me.

Now soak up the pics-








The dogs in the house followed us every where. I recall even the last time we were at a river, we had a mutt giving us company!



Strolling down the river (and trying something stupid)-

Aargh! Time to get back to reality-



10 comments:

  1. Fascinating. So is 'Goshaini' the name of the place? Where is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aseem how are you doing :) Guess I should have put more info there. Ya thats the name of the place and its in Thirthan valley, 20 km from Aut. Aut is where the road splits to Manali and Thirthan valley.
    Cheers man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathless journey into the jungles
    alluring green and brown beauty
    I wanna fall into a trance
    where there is no clue to break the spell
    foliage cracklings stuck to the bare skin
    heartbeats soaring to reach the tips.
    There beneath tall trees
    I would melt, merge, meander
    no path, no line
    and the gust brushes my hair.
    There music in the gushing water
    Makes me sizzle n quiver
    Finding its way through the curves, cracks n crevices
    I thought I knew the path to this green bliss….
    but I forgot how?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautiful place! How i wish i was at some such place at this moment... lovely...

    And its good to see that you havent lost touch with sketching... its been ages since i have picked up my pencils!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome sketch and beautiful place - I envy the owner...I have also been to Aut and further into the valleys and hills to a place called 'shoja'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophie- nice extension to the pics...
    Aparna- it was like going back to school...
    Thatwasit- googled shojha... looks nice... really want to try that next.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous29 July, 2007

    Couldn't resist writing this comment after seeing these pics. I spent much of the past 8-10 years searching in the North for a place exactly like I saw in these pictures. I am a mountain person at heart and would gladly spend the rest of life in a valley like this one. I am a writer but wouldn't mind doing any other job just to be able to live in such a place. So I offer my services as a housekeeper or a handyman; I could even run errands or teach English to the owner's children or the villagers. Would the owner kindly accept me as his servant? I humbly promise that my employer will not be disappointed. Plz forward my request to the owner and plz plz do reply to: o_mb@rediffmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goshaini is in the Tirthan Valley. Visit www.tirthanvalley.com for details. Its a hidden happy valley one of the most prestine valleys left without any disturbance and is also the bufferzone valley to the greathimalayannationalpark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. arjun...i have realised one thing....not to talk about these little heavens in public...lest they all turn into trashy manali or nainital. my way of saving whatever little is left.

    :-(
    Bips

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well now that our rivers have been turned to drains, that makes sense Bips!

    ReplyDelete

Wordpress it is!

I have moved to Wordpress. After much introspection and discussion on what Blogger and Wordpress are capable of, I figured a one-stop shop...