Saturday, September 02, 2006

fiction

The only sound on the entire hill-side comes from my heavily chromed motorcycle as it bullets up with the sea breeze muffling it. I park a little away from the winding road and head towards the cliff edge on foot.

It's a two-kilometre trek till the edge and the surroundings change here. The earth is carpeted with tall green grass like a brat with a haircut overdue. Then comes a thicket of pine and cedar trees. A waterfall trickles to break the silence. The sounds come from a cricket and birds. Now all of a sudden, there is a clearing. All you see is the blue sky and the ocean. This is Resolution Cliff Edge and it gets it's name from the mind-altering, natural surroundings juxatposed surreally with the ocean. Spending a few hours on the green patch here under the big blue would help one clear the head and self-introspect.
I walk up to the edge. Two hundred feet below, the violent, voofamoozing ocean makes me rethink if it is the right thing to do. I pull out my phone and imagine the splash it would make. It feels heavy. 'Think about it. You need to connect with people.'
I walk away from the edge. 'I'm a social animal; can't just throw my phone away like this. It didn't come cheap either.' I clutch it tight in my hand and walk back towards my beckoning machine. I stop halfway.

My mind blanks out and I turn around to run towards the cliff edge. I am thinking nothing. The edge is just a few feet off now... one long step, one hop, Fling!

Cerebra-fried, I stare at the receding object as it zipaswishes till it disappears into the surf with a small pling. I feel stupid for an instant. Guffawing helplessly, I drop to that wonderful green carpet with a thudarelief. I look up at the awesome big blue. A little birdie flies across. A squirrel hops around. A butterfly flits about. It's a beautiful day.

3 comments:

  1. you took me there....u know...wow...awesome...place to be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning description. I almost could feel it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie, That was it,
    Good to know this connects with you too...!
    cheers,
    Arjun

    ReplyDelete

Wordpress it is!

I have moved to Wordpress. After much introspection and discussion on what Blogger and Wordpress are capable of, I figured a one-stop shop...