Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I walk up to the edge. The cliff edge is a good kilometre high from the lush green terrain below. If I had vertigo, I wouldn't be up here. I let go of my backpack and stand at the edge, wondering- what now. The soil crumbles at my feet. Then it begins.

I lose weight, rapidly. My t-shirt and Nikes disintegrate into shreds and I don't seem to care at all. I look down at my feet and see the cliff edge break down further between my toes. Suddenly, I experience excruciating pain on my back and arms. Feathers grow instantly. My arms increase in length and I feel this sudden surge of energy in them. I lose more weight, my bones feel hollow and my chest swells. I'm a bird!


The cliff edge gives in and I drop. I approach the earth like a rock and as I get closer, I can see children playing in the fields below. I fear not the hurtle and I spread my wings out. The feathers tilt to let the air through. Then I pull my arms down and instinctively, I can control every feather, still growing. I close in my feathers and create an air pocket below. The fast approaching ground slows down as I swoop down and I am close enough to gently brush the grass with the tips of my wings. The children are appalled at the sight of me. Some find it amusing and run along as I glide along the earth. I play a game of trying to keep my shadow on them as I rise up. I turn my head up and head for the sky.


The blue sky above feels like home, where I am more comfortable. I afloat aimlessly, without having to beat my wings too hard. I glide for hours like a condor. Then, I settle down back on the cliff edge from where I stare at the ocean in the horizon. I know I can make it to the other side of this planet. I take off in full flutter...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordpress it is!

I have moved to Wordpress. After much introspection and discussion on what Blogger and Wordpress are capable of, I figured a one-stop shop...